To energy efficiency nerds, like me, this is great news! The 297 room resort and spa is located on 15 acres of beachfront property in the Wailea area of South Maui. It sits adjacent to white sand Mokapu Beach.
I was fortunate to be able to tour the project under construction. In addition to the hotel, there are several home suites that are available for purchase. Check out my blog, Wailea, Maui Anticipates the Opening of Andaz.
What is LEED?
However, I digress, if you do not know what the LEED designation is, let me educate you. LEED stands for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design. A certification from LEED recognizes design, construction, maintenance, and operations of "green" or energy efficient buildings. There are only a few LEED certified hotels in Hawaii, with this being the only one on Maui.
Elements that have secured the LEED Silver status are:
1. 93% of the existing structural walls, floors, and roofs.
2. Ample open space for recreation.
3. Access to views.
4. Low emitting materials such as adhesives, sealants, paints, coatings, flooring systems, and composite wood products.
5. Efficient energy system designs that cut energy costs by nearly 20% annually (variable speed chillers, notion sensor lighting control, LED lighting, low flow plumbing fixtures, automatic in room temperature control).
6. An on-site renewable solar thermal system.
7. A solar hot water system.
On your next visit to Maui, you may want to consider the Andaz. In addition to the energy efficiency perks, you could dine at several world-class restaurants including Iron Chef Morimoto's only Maui venture. It truly is a spectacular hotel.
For more information on the Andaz, or if you are considering making Maui your home, don't hesitate to contact me, Ken Molina, at 808.344.6421.