Nine years ago, I created this scholarship program as a way to encourage local, college-bound high school students to use their education to benefit Maui County. Since then, I’ve awarded more than $26,000 in scholarship funds to 26 students from high schools on the islands of Maui, Moloka‘i, and Lana‘i.
2012 Josh Jerman Maui Nui Scholarship Recipients
In 2012, the three recipients of the Josh Jerman Maui Nui Scholarship were:
- Amanda Jorgensen of Baldwin High School (currently attending University of Colorado-Pueblo)
- Mikayla Pico of Moloka‘i High School (currently attending Southwestern Oregon College)
- Ohe‘o Pua of Häna High School (currently attending University of Hawai‘i Maui College)
These three young scholars embody our hopes for the future, and prove that Maui County will be left in capable hands.
Winners of the Josh Jerman Maui Nui Scholarship
This year, I will award three more $1,000 scholarships to high school seniors who have one thing in common: they intend to return to Maui County with a college diploma in hand in order to contribute to their community and the local economy. I grew up on Maui and I believe there are many opportunities here at home, and these bright young minds can really make a difference for our island home—today and tomorrow.
To be eligible for the 2013 Josh Jerman Maui Nui Scholarship, applicants must:
- Be a resident of Maui County
- Be enrolled in a full-time program at an accredited four-year college or university (for the 2012-13 academic year)
- Demonstrate financial need
The application deadline is Wednesday, February 20, 2013, and recipients of the award will be notified on or before March 30, 2013. Scholarship funds will be awarded to recipients’ respective schools in mid-August. Students can download application materials at JoshJermanFoundation.org or inquire with their school counselor. I encourage all Maui County high school seniors to apply.